Henry Moore (b 1898). Three Piece Sculpture #3:
Vertebrae. 1968. Cast bronze (edition of three).
Location: Southeast corner of Safeco Plaza
Madison Street and Fourth Avenue.
1001 Fourth Avenue (block between Third and Fourth Avenues, Madison and Spring Streets).
This fifty-story monolith displaced both the Smith Tower and the Space Needle as the city’s tallest buildings. Shortly after it was finished the building won two significant architectural awards and was singled out for favorable mention in the New York Times. From the beginning art was integral in the building’s plan and budget. Works were commissioned works for the building’s most visible areas — the plaza, the lobby and the banking pavilion.
A Vice-President, Robert_Arnold, was put in charge of acquiring the bank’s “interior” collection. Working with the architects, the advisory group and with art 1 dealers here and abroad, he began traveling, looking and buying in 1967. By the autumn of 1968 he had purchased 210 objects -— paintings, prints, small sculptures and textiles — for the Bank itself. Most of the collection is concentrated on the 16th, 17th and 18th floors, where it can be seen on special guided tours.